Yesterday was the third anniversary of my dad’s death.
Day to day life moves on and it sometimes doesn’t sting as bad as it did before.
But then something big happens and his is the first number I want to call and it is heartbreaking.
So, instead of being sad, I am going to embrace the happy and write a list of things I loved about my dad (You know I love lists and he did too!):
1. He was the life of the party. Everyone wanted to be around him.
2. His generosity went beyond anything ever expected.
3. He loved my girlfriends and treated them like his own.
4. He had the legs of a runner and ran daily for 20 years.
5. I loved to hang out and drink coffee with him (our local McDonald’s was a favorite spot).
6. He was so easy to talk to and made all of my problems go away.
7. Putting others before himself was a life-long goal of his.
8. His devotion to family, faith and friends has guided me throughout my life.
9. Oh my goodness, how he adored Megan. Thinking about that always makes me cry.
10. Vacations…he always took us on the best vacations.
11. He always encouraged me to be the best version of myself and to take risks.
12. He was so, so proud of me and my brother and always expressed his pride to anyone who would listen…really, anyone.
13. He made the BEST Thanksgiving turkey.
14. He bought me running shoes whenever I needed them.
15. He always took care of us, even after I was married I knew I could count on him.
16. Eating corn…he ate corn in the funniest way.
17. He always dressed up, even when he was just hanging around the house he always looked nice.
18. Perfect teeth, no braces!
19. Even on his death bed he kept asking us if we were okay. That says something about a person.
20. He gave the best hugs and kisses.